Thursday, February 28, 2013

Toy Store Visit

        Although, I haven't been inside Toys R' Us for quite some time, I must mention how shocked I was at how the toys are marketed to boys and girls with such a clear division, instead of inclusion. It was a very different experience to go there not as a shopper, but for the purpose of noting how advertising speaks to parents and children regarding gender and identity.

     As I began walking through the electronics isle, I noted the colors that were used to indicate which ones were intended for boys, or for girls. On one side of the isle there were cameras, alarm clocks, head phones, MP3 & Video players, Text Messenger gadgets etc...that were mostly shades of blue, grey, black, or yellow. On the opposite side, these same items for girls were in various shades of pink, purple, and white. As I continued perusing around the store, I saw the Home Depot Toy section. These were specifically marketed to boys because there were only pictures of males on the front of the boxes. I saw toy drills, hammers, construction sets, and even weed trimmers. I thought this to be very disheartening, due to the fact that I have known girls who enjoy using a hammer and nails to create things out of wood, too.

    Looking up and down the shelves, the color pink seemed to be everywhere. Anything that was intended for girls screamed PINK. Now, I know that there are many, many different colors in the Crayola crayon box! As I walked further, I saw a sign that read Housekeeping. I headed to this isle and saw pink grocery carts filled with plastic toy food, kitchen sets, and even vacuum cleaners with only girls pictures on the front of the boxes. I have known quite a few boys that have enjoyed playing house with the girls and pretending with those items, too. When I saw the isle that read, Military, Rescue, Future, and Adventure, I walked over there. Most of the colors, of course, were many shades of camouflage - greens, blacks, browns etc...Interestingly...but at this point during this visit... not very shocking... all the boxes and sets had only boys pictures on the front. Clearly, there are many women serving in our military that hold some very high positions. They also fly planes and helicopters, and even have graduated from West Point.

     I concluded my visit in the sports isle. I realized that there was no difference in how some of sports were marketed to boys or girls. In fact, there were soccer ball sets and T-Ball sets that had only boys pictures on the front. This was unbelievable considering the Olympic Women's Soccer Team and all the girls soccer teams in schools across our country.

   I began to wonder how girls and boys feel when they end up in a certain isle looking for a specific item, but they don't see their gender on the front of the box.  Are they disappointed? Confused? Does it register in their subconscious? Do they begin to question their desire for certain toys, or even feel bad, or even ashamed about it?

3 comments:

  1. Wow…Good description of your visit to Toys R Us! As you kept explaining what you saw, during your visit, I could envision each item and how it was displayed. I am very surprised that you did not see more uni-sex items for example, maybe an Army girl or pink camouflage. However, I am very shocked that in the sports isle it was gender separated as well. This is the most frustrating for me due to being a female and an athlete. I think girls and boys are disappointed when they don’t see their gender on the front of the box. Point blank, I believe toy stores should do a better job with marketing gender equality!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IM HERE!!!! Nicely said Colleen, your thoughts are well stated and organized. I also noticed the differences in marketing for sports equipment also. I saw a plastic basketball hoop that on the box designated for girls had one black girl and one white boy playing with the hoop pictured on the box. The boys hoop, depicted two white boys playing basketball on the box. I thought that was interesting. I'm not even sure if you notice these kinds of things at a younger age. I think later in life though, these subconscious images reflect in our actions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story about the basketball hoop is interesting considering that black boys are just as interested in the sport. Would a black little boy be more likely to choose the girls set since it has a black kid on it or the boys set since it has only boys on it. Guess that boils down to the unanswerable question of which is more innate, race or gender.

    In other news, Goldie Blox is a tiny fish coming in trying to get more options for girls toys. Check them out : https://www.smallbusinessbiggame.com/CA/GoldieBlox/375943

    ReplyDelete